Joshua C. Richards, M.D., M.P.H.
“I like to learn about each patient’s injury and lifestyle in order to develop an effective treatment plan. When I’m not working, I enjoy spending time with my family and exploring all that the Bay Area has to offer.”
- Fellowship: Hand, Upper Extremity, and Microvascular Surgery
- Board-Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member, American Society of Surgery of the Hand
Dr. Richards obtained his undergraduate degree in neurobiology at Cornell University, his masters of public health at Columbia School of Public Health, and his medical degree at New York Medical College.
He completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at the San Francisco Orthopedic Residency Program. He then returned to Cornell University’s Hospital for Special Surgery to complete his fellowship training in hand, upper extremity, and microvascular surgery.
Dr. Richards volunteered locally for Operation Access and San Francisco General Hospital, helping provide upper extremity care for Bay Area’s uninsured population and education for orthopedic residents.
He has volunteered in Africa, as well, and has joined the disaster relief teams in Haiti.
- Dr. Richards is honored to be recognized as one of the Best Doctors in America for the East Bay Region for 2014 and 2015. Click to Learn More
- Dr. Richards was recognized by America's Best Physicians in 2016
- Current Treatment of Tennis Elbow, Frontiers in Medicine, Jackson Hole, WY 2017
- Duypuytrens Disease,span> Frontiers in Medicine, Jackson Hole, WY 2017
- Elbow Fractures and Dislocations, San Francisco Orthopedic Residency Program, 2017
- Latest Treatments of Elbow Arthritis, San Francisco Orthopedic Residency Program, 2017
- Functional Anatomy of the Shoulder, UCSF/UCB Medical School, 2016
- Finger Amputation and Soft Tissue Flaps, San Francisco Orthopaedic Residency, 2015
- Wrist ligament Injuries UCSF “Doctors Demystify The Hand" Course, 2014
- Mallet and Distal Phalanx Injuries, UCSF “Doctors Demystify The Hand" Course, 2012
- Shoulder Multidirectional Instability and Frozen Shoulder, UCSF “Doctors Demystify The Shoulder” Course, 2011
- Common Shoulder Injuries – Impingement, The Rotator Cuff, and A-C Joint dislocations, Alameda County Chapter of California Chiropractors Association, 2011
- Elbow Fractures, San Francisco Orthopaedic Residency, 2010
- Wrist Instability – Scapho-Lunate ligament Tears, UCSF Orthopaedic Residency Program, 2010 and San Francisco Orthopaedic Residency, 2009
- "The Midaxial (Universal) Approach the Lateral Elbow'. Published March 2011 - Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. Authors M. Schrumpf, A. Daluiski, Joshua Richards, R. Hotchkiss
- For detailed information on orthopedic conditions, please visit Dr. Richards' personal library at www.orthodoc.aaos.org/jcrichards/library.cfm.
- For videos of shoulder surgical procedures, please visit www.orthoillustrated.com.
- Dr. Richards featured on MyLifeStages.org's "Ask the Expert" regarding the topics of Muscle Cramps, Ganglion Cysts, Olecranon Bursitis, Thumb Pain, Multiple Joint Pain, and Management of Chronic Pain.
- De Quervain's Release
- Distal Radius Fracture Repair With Volar Plate
- Finger Fracture Fixation
- Ganglion Cyst Excision
- Limited Palmar Fasciectomy Dupuytren's Contracture
- Open Carpal Tunnel Release
- Scaphoid Fracture Fixation
- Trigger Finger Release
- Biceps Tenodesis
- Distal Clavicle Excision
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement
- Subacromial Injection
“Webster Orthopedics - San Ramon Office - I have never walked into a doctors office for a 1st appointment feeling like I was someone they have known forever. This started with the woman who greeted me at the front desk, another who was helping someone else but took that second to greet me, to the woman who took me to a smiling X-Ray Tech, and especially Dr. Richards, who didn't look at a clock and wanted to make sure I understood what he had told me and was so patient at any question I would have asked. Each individual (and there were others that walked by) smiled, greeted warmly and made me feel special...Amazing, looking around - they did that with everyone!!!! BIG KUDOS to the staff at the San Ramon Office - IMPRESSIVE IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT! Still smiling....thank you!” – J. Archuletta
"Quick, painless, effective in a friendly environment; what else could you ask for!" – J. Phillips
"Dr. Richards, Ingrid, Sanjeev Joshua. What a breath of fresh air. I have been in pain for over 3 1/2 months without much help with bedside manner. I arrived at Webster Orthopedics with the most generous care and smiles. The doctor took his time and notified me he had to be in surgery soon and didn't rush me out of the office. I feel very cared for here and that warms my soul. Thank You! I know I am in good hands." – H. Martinez
"Excellent staff!!! You guys are the greatest." - G. Del Rosaur
"My overall physical health and conditioning is extremely important to me. Prior to making any doctor/specialist appointments, I thoroughly research both the medical issue/circumstance that I face as well as the available doctors/specialists in the applicable field. Recently, I ruptured my proximal bicep tendon. As a result I began experiencing increasing pain from an old shoulder separation as well as an elbow dislocation. When exploring the possibilities, my primary goal was to find a doctor/Orthopedic Group that could potentially investigate the various medical issues from a holistic perspective and not just treat the individual symptoms by themselves. When Dr. Richards met with me, he spent a significant amount of time both learning about me as a patient and understanding the specific medical issues that I felt were relevant to my condition. As a result, we agreed on a treatment plan that holistically provides me the greatest recovery possibilities with the least associated risks and/or potential complications. I am very pleased with the treatment path and feel Dr. Richards empowered me with all the necessary tools to optimize my recovery thus allowing me to return to a full and active life. As a side note, it happened that Dr. Richards was a professional colleague of the knee specialist (Dr. Scott Dye)that recently resolved my knee complications without major surgery. Many thanks." – T. Arakawa
"Awesome, being treated with such warmth and kindness. That made all the difference on days where I thought I couldn't go much further. Just a smile made my painful day a bit easier. Thank you Bernadette and Ingrid." – A. Batte
"I'm very pleased with the care I have gotten at Webster Orthopedics. The staff is loving, caring and understanding. I am a new patient and I was treated like I've be coming here my whole life. Moheene, Bernadette and Sophia are the first one's you see when you come in. You forget you are in pain because they make you feel great. You know that you came to the right place. Dr. Richards PA Sanjeev is on the ball, making you feel cared for. My experience was awesome. Thank you." – C. Health
"It was very professional and lots of kindness shown through the surgical procedure. Thanks to all of the medical team. I always feel respected and loved." – M. Johnson
"Accidents do happen! And in my case, I can vouch that accidents happen to even the best of us. As I was flying to visit a friend for the weekend, I decided not to check in my baggage figuring I'll just carry on. Being that I am not the strongest or tallest person, I was overextending my arm and trying to push my luggage into the compartment. POP..Squish!.. then the pain. I had ripped a muscle completely off the bone. Upon returning from my horrible weekend, I met with Dr. Joshua Richards. He performed my shoulder surgery with ease and exquisite care. The procedure went exceedingly well. The follow ups with his office were frequent with no details left unwanting. It has been a year since my surgery and I have full and complete use of my arm. Thank you Dr. Richards for your expertise and care. Now I am able to get back to the activities that I would never have been able to do without your help." – J. Fermin
"Very professional from the time I arrived. The wait was within reason. Sanjeev reviewed my case first and he was very thorough and easy to talk to. He made me feel comfortable and in good hands. Dr. Richards was equally thorough explaining all of my options as well as recommendations with a good follow up plan. I would recommend this office without reservation. Many thanks!!!" – P. Bowman